Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Yoga and Christianity

So many times I have heard the question raised "Is Yoga Christian" or something along those lines. At the heart of this question is fear - if I try yoga, am I defying God's will or giving the devil a foot hold in my life, my heart? I don't believe that to be the case. I do believe that as a Christian, yoga is a perfectly safe practice. I am a Christian - this is the first and foremost of the defining roles I claim. A Christian, mom, wife, friend, daughter, sibling, teacher, yogi. Yes a yogi, I teach yoga as well as practice yoga. I am good at yoga - God has blessed me with a gift of leadership to help others (and myself) live a more healthful life through quieting the mind, breathing deeply, withdrawing from the outside world, honoring the body and listening to the guidance of the Holy Spirit that lives within. 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God. You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body. We honor our bodies, which simply means we listen to and respect ourselves. If we feel tired we take rest, if we feel pain we take care, if we feel strong we challenge ourselves. This is not contradictory to anything we know as Christians. 2 Timothy 1:7 For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self control. We quiet the mind of the endless loop of thoughts that drown out the gentle whisper of the Holy Spirit. In all things, all places we choose Who and what influence the words from our mouths, actions from our hands and feet as well as the thoughts in our minds and hearts. This month, I have added a new class to our schedule - "Yoga and Prayer". It is a class I have wanted to add for a long time, a class that will allow me to share my faith in community. I love the community we have created at Harmony Health, I love how we know eachother, care for eachother, support and love each other in our community. Yoga has always been a space for me to be still (even while moving mindfully), be present and be a listener. I am can not wait to share part of my Sundays with you. In the Christian faith Christmas is so much more than holiday songs, gift exchanges, delicious food and family gatherings - it is a time to celebrate the coming of our Lord and Savior. During the month of December, Yoga and Prayer will be Advent focused. Each week we will meet for prayer and yoga, we will reflect on the meaning of the Advent season and the lighting of candles. The first purple candle (which has already been lit)represents HOPE, the second LOVE, the third (a pink candle) JOY, and the fourth PEACE God of light and hope, look upon us in love, and fill us with the spirit of Jesus that we may love you and serve you in your kingdom. Protect us during this week and keep us watchful in prayer as we await the coming of our Lord, Jesus Christ, who is the light of the world, and who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment